Friday, May 02, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!!!


A year ago this past weekend my mother received the news that her breast cancer that had been in remission for the past 7 years had come back. The cancer had not just come back, but it had come back with force as more spots were found in various areas of her body from her lung to liver. When this news was delivered in many ways we as a family were swept back to 1999 and the first battle with this disease. In ’99 when my mother was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer our family fell apart, I won’t go into details but it was bad. We had no hope and the thought of losing my mom was too much for me and my father to handle.
My mother has always been the stability in our family when my dad was having hard times she was the force, a gentle force, but still a mighty force that kept my head up and loved and supported my father. My mother has always been a force for stability and strength, even though she is a quiet, humble and gentle soul (Lobo Basketball games being the exception of this demeanor). She was an elementary school teacher for the better part of 4 decades, and in fact was my wife’s 4th grade teacher. She has been such a key influence in many lives and shaping many in this community. As I already stated for my father and I she is and was a source of stability and love and encouragement. My daughter loves her nana with a jealous love as I know my son will too one day. The thought of losing her in ’99 was too much for us to handle and it truly was a hard time for our family.
A lot has changed since then. In ’07 when we received news of cancer and its’ return the response was different. There was concern, tears and sadness, but there was calmness, trust and hope. What had changed? Jesus Christ had invaded our household and became our foundation and hope. A true knowledge of who Jesus is and what He had done changed our outlook on everything. Never has that been so apparent than at lunch at TGI Friday’s when my parents told me the news of my mom’s relapse with cancer. At lunch my parents shared the news, but also shared the hope. The hope that while cancer hurts it cannot destroy, that if my mom was to die, it would just mean she would no longer see through a foggy window, she would be with Jesus! My dad stood firm, not on his own strength, but on Christ the Solid Rock, trusting in a Sovereign, Wise King! At that moment Jesus was at that table sitting with us and speaking through my parents, Praise God!
Today is my mom’s birthday, and we do realize it is something to celebrate that she is still here, that the cancer while not gone is being controlled. My mom has been a part of a women’s Bible Study at our church and has dove deep into God’s Word and trust in Him. Where will we be in 1 year, who knows, but no matter what changes come, we can trust that Jesus our Rock and Foundation, our Joy and our Hope, our Strength and Security is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Happy Birthday Mom!!! We Love You!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continuing on in our efforts to be Gospel-centered in our blogging, the Band of Bloggers network has been created. Join us as we seek to unify and encourage each other.

http://bandofbloggers.ning.com/?xgi=59sy6ms

greg said...

Brother,

When we have this staggeringly awesome promise (below), the outlook is indeed different than the world! Will hold your mother and your family in my prayers.

greg ferreri
heritage Christian Fellowship
ABQ

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, "For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom 8:35-39 ESV)