Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Today, Live For Today

'Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (Matt. 6:34)
I am a bit of a worrier. I have been this way since I was little. Recently I have found myself overwhelmed, worried about how much I need to get done on my vacation. I have found that I am not getting all I have wanted to get done done. It has been rather frustrating but also very convicting about how much I want to control everything around me. It has also showed me that I need to stop looking at all the days I have off and instead look at today. Focus on today cause that is all I have. I am working on that, and I am far from where I want to be with it, but for today His grace is sufficient.

Matt Chandler, pastor of The Village Church has a great post today about this very subject, about thinking upon today with a hope of 40-50 years. Here is a good quote:
I think it’s easy to get overwhelmed wanting to know scripture more, or walk in victory over this or that. It’s much easier to decide that today, knowing that God has given me all the grace and mercy I need to be all that He has made me to be, I am going to follow Him. Today I’m going to read and meditate on His word. Today I’m not, by his grace, going to give into temptation. Today I will be obedient to His leadings. Day after day following the long path of obedience in the same direction until, and if, we get to 70, drinking coffee early in the morning with lifelong friends…until then, day by day…until we are sitting at an even better table.
Click here for the rest from his blog Dwell Deep

No comments: